Buckland is a parish with a long, rich history and that history is recorded in the land and buildings seen today. The form of the Parish even today portrays its agricultural origins where livestock spent the summer months on the hillside in the Chilterns and were brought back to the Vale to over winter. Indeed, the Drovers’ Way, which passes along the bridleways in the north of the Parish on its route to Aylesbury, bears witness to this. Buckland remained an agricultural settlement throughout the ages and examples of former farmhouses and utilitarian buildings survive today. This rural setting is still a dominant character of the Parish. The buildings range from the 13th century and portray the social history of the Parish.
Former farmhouses date from the 16th and 17th century, with agricultural buildings, most now converted into private dwellings, dating from the 18th and 19th centuries. Great Moat Barn (now a private residence) dates back to a medieval cruck barn. The 19th century saw 25 a period of agricultural prosperity and this is reflected in the number of agricultural labourers’ cottages that still survive today, most of which have been extended but still maintain their original form. These include Model Row, Rose Cottage, Blenheim, Prune Cottage, Quetta, Juniper Cottage, Roseleigh, and cottages in Peggs Lane. These are all non-designated heritage assets recording the social history of the Parish.
Buildings from the 19th century also record the influence of the Rothschild family in the Parish. The grade 2 listed buildings, now the Village Hall, the Old School House and its boundary wall, were built by the Rothschild family as a school for children from the Parish. These buildings were designed by the Rothschilds’ architect, George Devey. Other buildings within the Parish reflect the Rothschild influence: Primrose Cottage, Ramblers, The Lodge. George Devey also designed the Waterworks at Dancers End, high in the Chilterns. This was built to provide water for the Rothschilds’ estates. This pumping station has been in continuous use since 1866, and is operated today by Thames Water. Other Rothschild buildings are 1-4 New Road, March Cottage and Winter’s End Cottage in Peggs Lane.
The Wendover Arm canal was built in 1799 to take water from Wendover to the Grand Union Canal at Bulbourne in Hertfordshire. This led to the growth of a community at Buckland Wharf. Wharf Row used to be canal workers cottages, another nondesignated heritage asset, recording the social history of the area.
Within the Parish there are several listed buildings, from the Conservation Area in the north to the Waterworks, high in the Chilterns. The existing bridge over the Aylesbury Arm of the Grand Union Canal is protected under an Historic England listing. The Moat at Moat Farm is a scheduled Ancient Monument. There are two further Scheduled Ancient Monuments in the south of the Parish: 2 x sections of Grim’s Ditch close to the Parish boundary.
Despite the changes that have occurred during the 20th century and the increase in development Buckland has maintained much of its rural character, its basic plan form and its strong sense of place. The fields that border the settlement boundaries are significant because they act as a buffer between Buckland and Aston Clinton and help to retain Buckland’s individual identity.
Listed Buildings in Buckland Parish
Grade 2 *
All Saints Church
Yew Tree Cottage 17th century Village Hall,
Old School House & boundary wall
19th century Rothschild Moat Farm house
16th century Old Bullpen
18th and 19th century Great Moat Barn Medieval cruck barn Havering House
18th century West Cottage
17th century Queensmead
17th century Lower Farm and Barns
17th and 18th century Grimbles Barn
18th century Church Farm house
17th century Old Duke’s Head
17th century Pegg House
17th century Dancers End house and barns, boundary wall and railings
18th century Dancers End Pumping Station: engine house, pump rooms, watchman’s lodge, boundary wall and gate piers Cooling pond
Northhill Wood War Memorial
19th century Rothschild Bridge 8 Aylesbury Arm canal 1811-1813
Non Designated Heritage Assets in Buckland
The following are unlisted buildings which make a positive contribution to the character, social history and understanding of Buckland Parish which merit consideration in planning decisions. The significance of these heritage assets and their settings deserve to be conserved and enhanced.
Agricultural farmhouses and 19th century outbuildings:
Manor Farm and 19th century barns: the farmhouse is an attractive building retaining many original features. The 19th century farm buildings, now converted into residences, are architecturally distinctive and the complex reflects the local agricultural economic history.
Neilds Farm and 19th century outbuildings: This is a 19th century farm complex hard up to the road. It is in a significantly prominent position. The barns are architecturally distinctive with their blank elevations. Agricultural labourers’ cottages, 19th century: These are significant in terms of social history and group value.
The following cottages retain their original form and have significant group value as part of a group of agricultural labourers’ cottages in the village
1 & 2 Peggs Lane
Rose Cottage: This has group value
Model Row (8 cottages)
19th century cottages with links to the Rothschild Family:
March Cottage: together with Winters End Cottage was originally a group of four agricultural labourers’ cottages built by the Rothschilds with the Rothschilds’ motif to Lodge Farm.
Winters End Cottage
The Lodge: Forms a group with the Grade 2 listed Village Hall and Old School house. The Lodge used to be a gatehouse on New Road.
Primrose Cottage: reflects the influence of George Devey and its significant Rothschild history with its architectural detailing.
19th century canal workers’ cottages:
All of these buildings are important for their significant social history and group value.
Wharf Row (11 cottages) at Buckland Wharf: although extended to the rear, this row of cottages retains the integrity of form of the original dwellings.
The Haven, Ramblers Cottage, Doornfontein: these are former wharfside cottages during the period when the wharf was in use.
Buckland Wharf: 10 Victorian workers’ cottages on London Road which lead down to the Wendover Arm canal.
New Inn: formerly a canalside public house 19th century, now converted into flats
Other buildings of note:
Old Rectory: a status building built of stone in 1864 by Rev Bonus, a prominent figure in the 19th century, set in large gardens
Chapel House: a former Wesleyan Chapel, important to the social history of the village
Old Plough: a former Victorian public house opposite All Saints’ Church
Field Corner: an attractive, visually prominent building which makes a positive visual contribution to the character and appearance of the village, built by Rev Bonus.
Icknield House, Tring Hill: another status building, visually prominent, on Tring Hill • Icknield Lodge, Upper Icknield Way: a 19th century lodge standing at the entrance