Buckland Burial Ground, adjacent to All Saints churchyard, is owned and maintained by Buckland Parish Council. Burial in this burial ground is reserved for people who are resident in Buckland Parish at the time of death. There are both consecrated and unconsecrated areas to accommodate all faiths. Cremation plots will be available once All Saints churchyard is closed.
All enquiries should be made to the Clerk to Buckland Parish Council, who is the officer responsible for the administration of the Burial Ground.
The Clerk has delegated powers to approve the burial or interment of cremated remains in this Burial Ground of any resident whose name is included in the current Register of Electors for Buckland Parish at the time of death, or of any child of any such resident, provided that child is under 18 years of age.
Approval for the burial or interment of cremated remains in this Burial Ground of any resident of the Parish of Buckland whose name is not included in the current Register of Electors at the time of death, will be decided by three Buckland Parish Councillors in consultation with the Clerk. Proof of residency will be required. This also applies to previous adult residents of Buckland who have lived in the Parish for 20 or more years. Again, proof of residency will be required. Residents of Buckland who are forced to leave the Parish to go into a full-time care institution will be treated as resident in the Parish at the time of death.
Floral tributes, together with their containers, must be removed within one month of the funeral. If they are not removed within this timescale, then they will be removed by the Clerk.
Exclusive right of burial is for a period of 75 years.
- Each burial will be in a numbered plot, allocated by the Clerk. No other space is to be used.
- Consideration should be given to the advantage of purchasing a double depth grave to cater for future family requirements.
- Flowers and small perennials may be planted on the grave space.
- No shrubs, or trees, are permitted.
- Grave mounds which have been unattended for a period of 12 months, will be levelled, in order to facilitate maintenance of the grounds.
- Floral tributes, together with their containers, should be removed within one month of the funeral.
- All unsafe headstones will be laid flat.
- The grave space will be 4ft (120cm) by 9ft (270cm), allowing an additional 6inches (15cm) for foot access all round.
- Only headstones are permitted, with a maximum size of:- width 3ft (90 cm) by height 4ft (120 cm) by thickness 6inches (15cm).
- Bases:- width 2ft (60 cm) by height 4inches (10 cm) by depth 12inches (30 cm)
- Headstones may be of any stone quarried in the UK, or from Oak. No other monuments are allowed.
- No stone kerbs, fencing, railings, chains, chippings are allowed.
- Headstone designs and inscriptions must be submitted to the Parish Clerk for approval by the Parish Council, before any work is undertaken.
- Unsafe headstones shall be laid down and the registered owners advised.
- Copies of the headstone plans will be kept with the burial register.
- Each interment will be in a numbered plot, allocated by the Clerk. No other space is to be used.
- Up to 2 urns may be interred in each plot.
- No stone kerbs, fencing, railings, chains or chippings are allowed.
- Floral tributes should be removed within one month of the interment.
- The size of each cremation plot will be 18 inches (45cm) by 18inches (45cm).
- Maximum size for memorials is 18 inches by 18inches by 4 inches (45cm by 45cm by 10cm)
- Memorials may be of any stone quarried in the UK.
- Floral containers should be incorporated in the memorial.
It is important that the Clerk is kept up to date with details of all the registered owners of the graves, cremation plots and headstones. This will enable communication should the headstone or memorial become unstable and allow for the owner to facilitate repair.
Fees: The fees for burials and headstones/memorials are set by the Parish Council. Currently (2023) they are as follows:
Single depth grave
Double depth grave
Second burial in double grave
Cremation plot interment
Interment of ashes into an existing Burial Plot
Sextant fee (payable on all interments)
These fees are used towards the maintenance of the Burial Ground.
All burial payments to be sent to the Buckland Parish Council Clerk. Any fees for church services should be paid directly to All Saints Parochial Church Council.
Adopted February 2023